What is Tron?
Tron is a layer-1 network that actively works towards creating a decentralized internet by addressing the issue of data ownership and enabling users to freely create and share content on a distributed ledger. Tron is dedicated to promoting decentralization of the internet through the use of blockchain technology and decentralized applications. The token that powers the Tron network is TRX and it is exclusively used for trading, staking, delegating, paying transaction fees, and governance votes on the network. This tutorial will show you how to stake your TRX tokens on the Tron network.
- View the current Tron staking APR here
- Use the Tron Staking Calculator to estimate your rewards
- Lockup: 3 days
- Average commission rate: 20% on earned rewards
- Minimum amount required for staking: 1 TRX
- Estimated time needed to stake your TRX in your wallet: 2 minutes
- Recommended Tron staking wallets: Ledger, Trust Wallet
- Steps to stake:
- Go to the Tron Staking Portal and enter/connect your wallet
- Select validators
- Enter the amount of stake
- Confirm and happy staking 🤘
Where to buy TRX
You can get TRX tokens at a cryptocurrency exchange, at a DEX, or within select wallets. You should always do your own research when selecting a reputable cryptocurrency exchange. For best security, it is not recommended to leave your tokens on an exchange, but transfer them to your non-custodial or cold/hardware wallet after procuring them.
Tron has a variety of non-custodial wallets for you to choose from. We recommend that you use a hardware wallet such as Ledger otherwise we suggest using Trust Wallet. Compatible wallets include:
How to connect Tron (TRX) to Trust Wallet
After setting up your Trust Wallet, you need to import TRX to the wallet:
- first click the button at th top-right corner
- Type “Tron” in the search bar and select it in the drop-down menu
Now you have connected Tron to Trust Wallet!
Selecting Tron validators
Please refer to the FAQ section titled ‘How do I choose Tron validators’ on this page when selecting Tron validators. Also, you may want to utilize our criteria for verifying providers through the Staking Rewards Verified Staking Provider (VSP) Program.
How Staking Rewards for Tron (TRX) are Generated
Learn how rewards are generated in the FAQ section titled ‘How are the rewards generated’’ here.
How to stake Tron (TRX)
Step 1: Make sure you have a Tron wallet
Stake your TRX tokens using Ledger, Trust Wallet, Tron Wallet, amongst others. We will use the Trust Wallet in this staking tutorial.
As a popular wallet in the Tron ecosystem, Trust Wallet offers users the ability to stake tokens, access blockchain apps, and manage multiple tokens in one wallet. Simply connect your Ledger to Trust Wallet or use Trust Wallet directly to stake TRX. Download the Trust wallet here. Deposit your tokens into this wallet before continuing onto step 2.
Step 2: Go to the Tron staking portal and choose a validator
After entering your wallet, start staking and select validators. We recommend choosing validators that are verified via the Verified Staking Provider (VSP) Program. You will find the verified validators with a blue tick next to it on the Tron profile page. If you are unsure of how to choose a validator, please see the FAQ section named ‘Selecting Tron validators’ above to help you decide.
- Click on your TRX tokens and then click on ‘Stake’
- Now you will see a staking interface that contains basic information including the APR, if you decide to proceed the staking, click on ‘Stake’ again
- Now you can choose a validator from the drop-down menu below VALIDATOR. If you are unsure of how to choose a validator, go to Tron profile page and select a validator that has a blue tick next to it
- Come back to the staking portal, click on the drop-down menu and select the validator that you saw previously with a blue tick next to it (note that the verified providers may not appear on the list sometimes)
Step 3: Finalize the transaction
- On the same interface, enter the amount of TRX tokens you would like to stake
- Click on ‘Next’
- Click on ‘Confirm’ to finalize the transaction
Make sure you do NOT stake your full available balance. You MUST leave at least 1 TRON for gas fees. This cost will vary depending on the network activity on Tron network.
Congratulations! You have now staked your TRX tokens and will start earning those juicy staking rewards.
Step 4: Track staking portfolio
- Track your TRX staking rewards on the staking dashboard.
- Monitor governance proposals on Tron network that may impact the staking mechanism.
- Track the current and historical reward rates, validator count, number of unique TRX staking wallets, and staking ratio of the Tron network by visiting the Tron asset page. To make better staking decisions, it’s essential to understand these relevant data points. To learn how these data points could impact your staking rewards, please read more in the FAQ sections named “How do I choose Tron validators” and “How are the rewards generated” on the Tron asset page.
Step 5: How to Unstake TRX
To unstake your TRX tokens, follow the steps below:
- On the staking dashboard, tap on ‘Frozen’
- Tap on ‘Unstake’ to proceed the unstaking process
Maximizing Staked Tron (TRX)
Now that you have staked your TRX, you have 3 options which can be used to change your position. These options appear on the Tron Staking Portal. The options are:
- Stake more
- Restake reward
- Claim reward and unbond
You can stake more by delegating to the same validator or any other validators by following the instructions in Steps 2 and 3 shown above.
TRX rewards are not auto-compounded, so to maximize your returns, you may want to claim and stake your rewards more frequently. You can claim your TRX rewards once every 24 hours. However, it’s important to consider that each transaction will incur gas fees, so you may want to use our Staking Calculator to determine the optimal re-staking frequency for your amount of TRX.
Claim reward and unbond
You can claim rewards and unbond your stake on the same staking interface 3 days after you staked you TRX tokens.
Staking is essential to Proof-of-Stake blockchains and comes with many benefits for investors and the network:
- Investors earn yield from token emissions and/or transaction fees.
- Stakers become eligible for airdrops as many networks prioritize granting these benefits to them.
- Staking helps to secure the network
- Staking from multiple participants helps decentralize the network
- Stakers can participate in governance, as many PoS networks allocate governance rights based on the amount of tokens staked.
Congratulations! You are now not only getting the most out of your investment with compounded returns. YOU are also (in-)directly contributing to the decentralization, and the network security of Tron and thus contributing to the long-term success of your investment! Tron needs active stakers like you to become successful long-term.
Now share the tutorial with your friends so they can get to start staking as well!
Lastly, don’t forget to check out the Tron (TRX) asset page for more insights into staking TRX, and drop us a message if you found this tutorial useful. Happy staking!